As I said in my last post (read it here), I was not that into this The ElfStones of Shannara. I enjoyed it more as I delved deeper into the story and figured out more about Wil, his powers and his history, but this isn't a book that I would read over and over again. I plan on reading the entire series because curiosity got the cat and I really want to know what happens next.
What I liked ::
|Get it on Amazon.com|
- It's a interesting story. I kept feeling like I was missing something, because I was. I have not read The Sword of Shannara, which is the first book in the series. I started on the second one because I am planning on watching the MTV series and I wanted to be ahead of what they are doing. I actually understood a little more about the history of the world that Terry Brooks created due to watching the first episode. From what I have seen so far, they have strayed off of the path of the book. For example, Wil is a half elf and his dad had the Elfstones. In the book, Wil is a quarter elf and his grandfather had the stones... how they are going to change that if they go back and tell The Sword of Shannara should be interesting.
- It's well written. So many books of this day are thrown together with no attention to details. Don't get me wrong, I am pro self publishing and I think Watt Pad is wonderful and it is fantastic that anyone can write and be read. That doesn't mean that everything out there is going to be great. Even some of my favorite authors *coughs* Mercedes Lackey *coughs* have plot holes and make mistakes, but this story was well written with no major screw ups or plot holes.
- It wasn't a page turner. I was naturally interested really until it very close to the end. To me the best part was when the reader was introduced to the storyline about Sisters, around page 381 out of 564. For most of the book, I wasn't overly interested. I was actually a little bored.
- The plot was predictable. If you leave your heroine alone in a forest of witches with demons hunting her and her only protector rushing off to get the one weapon he has to fight the demons what do you think is going to happen? She's going to get into trouble. Not to mention this book almost certainly fails the Bechdel Test (what's a Bechdel Test?) This character is going to fall in love with this character and all the women are in love with this character who is way slicker than he has any right to be. We only get to know one prince? There should be a huge neon sign over his head that says "HEY I'M GOING TO DIE!"
- The fight scenes were boring. I'll be the first to admit I am not big on fight scenes, particularly when they are about battle between foes that are meant to be prolific, but these were incredibly dull.
I am giving The Elfstones of Shannara 3 out of 5 Stars. It was good but not great. I love Fantasy and SciFi and I would recommend this book to someone who is just starting out reading Fantasy. It's clean for the most part and villains are 100% evil and the good guys are fairly straight and narrow.
For someone who has spent a lot of time reading Science Fiction and Fantasy, it just didn't meet up to my standards.
Have you read this book or any others? Let me know what you thought about it in the comments below. If your planning to check out the new television series on MTV? Let me know what you think about it too.
See Ya Space Cowboy, Sometime, Somewhere.